1.29.2014

Blood Oranges

I'm very happy when I start to see blood oranges show up in the market at this time of year. I love the deep magenta color. Today I'm sharing a recipe for my blood orange sorbet, but there are lots of ways to use them. They are great to make freshly squeezed juice, or a mimosa if you want to get fancy with that juice. For a different kind of salad, I like to lay slices of them on a plate and top with thinly sliced red onion, basil, olive oil, salt, and pepper. But, whether you use them in a recipe or eat them just as they are, I encourage you to look for some now. Once they're gone we won't see them again until next year, and you certainly don't want to miss out.


Blood Orange Sorbet

3 cups freshly squeezed blood orange juice (from about a dozen blood oranges)
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Combine the juice and all the sugar in a medium saucepan. Place over medium heat and stir until sugar disolves. Do not boil. Place in a container, cover and refrigerate until well chilled, at least 3 hours and up to 24 hours.

Process mixture in an ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions. Place in an airtight container in the freezer to firm up for a few hours before serving.

Makes approximately 3 cups, serving 4. 

Notes: Can be made up to three days ahead. 


1 comment:

  1. You're reminding me that we need to whip out our ice cream maker now that summer is here. Can you make this sorbet with other fruits? It seems too simple!

    ReplyDelete